xs vs. xsiframe linker - purpose of two cross site linkers in GWT
Raphael André Bauer
2011-05-23 09:34:31 UTC
Hi,

I recently tried to use GWT's Cross Site linkers to allow GWT code
loaded from different servers.
And - they really like a charm - great work! :)

Linker "xs" does not seem to work in dev mode [1], Linker "xsiframe"
[2] works both in dev an production mode, but needs script tags of
gwt.xml to be included by the host html page. Both seem to support
code splitting.

But still - can anybody explain why there are two Cross Site linkers?
What's the difference between the two?

Thanks!

Best,

Raphael
[1] http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/source/browse/trunk/user/src/com/google/gwt/core/XSLinker.gwt.xml
[2] http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/source/browse/trunk/user/src/com/google/gwt/core/CrossSiteIframeLinker.gwt.xml
Thomas Broyer
2011-05-23 10:31:29 UTC
Post by Raphael André Bauer
Hi,
I recently tried to use GWT's Cross Site linkers to allow GWT code
loaded from different servers.
And - they really like a charm - great work! :)
Linker "xs" does not seem to work in dev mode [1], Linker "xsiframe"
[2] works both in dev an production mode, but needs script tags of
gwt.xml to be included by the host html page. Both seem to support
code splitting.
But still - can anybody explain why there are two Cross Site linkers?
"xs" is the "historic" one, and will probably be "deprecated" at some point;
xsiframe has been added quite recently. I even heard "xsiframe" would
replace (read: be preferred to, and used by default) "std" in due time.
Post by Raphael André Bauer
What's the difference between the two?
As its name suggests, xsiframe runs the code in a iframe "sandbox", just
like the "std" linker. But contrary to the "std" linker, it loads the code
using dynamic script tags, which allow for cross-origin uses.
On the other hand, the "xs" linker runs the code "in the host page", using
the "module pattern" to avoid polluting the global context, but still
running in that global context, and thus subject to "pollution" and side
effects from 3rd party libs.
This is just the general idea, I don't know the exact details of how
xsiframe is better than xs (just that it must be, otherwise they wouldn't
have created it afterwards)